Tags

, , , , , ,

I walked out of the office around 2:00pm on Saturday a free man, it felt like the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders.  It was beautiful and sunny but too windy for my Yuloh to get me out of the harbor.  I patiently waited filling my time with navigation routes and planning.  My neighbor came by and asked what I was waiting for. “I’m waiting for the wind to die so I can go sailing”

The weather was deteriorating, The further south I headed the worse the conditions, fog small craft advisories and 5 days or opposing currents. The tide book read, -1.4, -1.8, -1.9 not exactly ideal conditions.  I wasn’t worried and was so excited I could bearley contain myself.  By 7:00pm I resigned myself to waiting till dawn, I set the alarm for 5:00 am and was in bed by 9:00.  I was exhausted and fell asleep instantly.

I woke wide awake at 4:00am and listed to the sounds of night, it was dead calm.  I walked Chloe, brushed my teeth and got the boat ready.  I pushed her out of her slip and the Yuloh worked like a dream.  I was in absolute heaven as I sculled pushing through an light opposing tide,sunrise was beautiful my world was perfect.  I heard a crack and the Yuloh fell dead to the side of my temporary bracket.  I assessed the situation as the tide pulled me back into the marina.  I pulled up to a guest dock to see how bad the damage was, it was fatal.  I sat in my cockpit head in my hands thinking about my options, if I had gone 25 yards further before it broke I could have lost my boat on the rocks.  I climbed inside The` made a cup of coffee and poured over the charts and tide books.

My goal was if nothing else to make it 6 miles to Chauckanut Bay and spend the day playing with Chloe.  I had to be in Port Townsend no later than Wednesday to have Brian Toss Help me with my final rigging tune and go to the Port Townsend Foundry to have a permanent Yuloh mount made.  Considering my situation and the weather I turned back to the slip.

I got back to the slip, light a cigarette and dank my coffee assessing the situation and where I went wrong.  I had violated my own rule and left before the boat was ready, relying on a temporary bracket was foolish and could have cost me the boat.  While my situation was zero stress had itfailed when I needed it most who knows what could have happened.  I had 5 shipping lanes to cross fog and opposing tides, all because I tried to stick to a fictitious schedule.  I’m taking a break for a few days to relax and come up with my next game plan.

Wisdom is knowing what to do next; virtue is doing it.

~David Star Jordan

Advertisements